Elements of group discussion
Group discussion is a form of dialogue in which many members of the group participate and express their views on a subject of a controversial nature. Each member expresses his / her opinion on the topic being announced at that time. It is not prearranged and is an automatic conversation between strangers. A staff member at different levels in different organizations must participate in meetings and conferences and call for their views to be expressed at short notice.
The main features of the group discussion are as follows:
1) Purpose of group discussion: – The purpose of the discussion group is to encourage members of a group to express their ideas on a particular subject in a short time with a view to finding a solution to a problem. It stimulates interest and stimulates the thinking power of group members and stimulates the thinking power of group members so that they can discuss the controversial nature of the subject with their colleagues in a non-emotional way and in a calm atmosphere.
2) The advantages of group discussion: (a) Members abandon their shyness and learn to speak in a group.
(b) They learn a lot of new things, thus increasing their knowledge.
(c) It stimulates thinking. Members learn to classify their ideas and ignore irrelevant ideas.
(d) qualities of self-confidence. Mental alertness, self-assertion, and the view of others.
(e) Members of the group learn to know each other and thus are likely to evaluate themselves in relation to other members of the group.
(f) Revealing the true personality of each member and crystallizing the qualities of his leadership.
3. General Mode of Conduct: Group members are generally restricted to 8 seats seated comfortably around a half-circle table and the group leader, if any, occurs at the center and faces all members. There are different ways to conduct a group discussion by the following factors: –
(a) If the level of group intelligence is relatively low and the goal is teaching and learning, the discussion is conducted under the direction of the group leader who chooses an appropriate topic of interest to the group members. Members sit around it and announce the subject or write it on a black board.
(b) If the level of intelligence of the members is high and the purpose of the discussion is to test the knowledge and strength of the oral expression of the group, the person conducting the discussion declares that the person required of the group asks them to express their views while withdrawing and watching the discussion. Does not lead the role of leader.
4. Hints for participants:
1. Once the topics have been announced, participants should start thinking immediately and their views on the topic selected for discussion …
2. At the moment of selection of the topic, the candidate must, with initiative and confidence, start the discussion immediately.
3. If participants have sufficient knowledge of the subject, they should try to talk first. If someone else takes his first turn, he must take the second, third or fourth turn. Earlier the candidate took his role in the debate, the better for him, otherwise arguments to the mind may be the use of another person, forcing him to resort to a less persuasive argument
4. Each participant must listen to the argument of others very carefully and instead make a mental note to them. He should either refute some of these arguments or bring me his new arguments in favor or against the proposal.
5. Once a participant finds that his argument has been refuted by someone else, he or she must try to justify his point of view by bringing new ideas or arguments.
6. Once the participant takes a line of argument in favor of or supports the proposal, he or she must try to stick to it or change it in the middle of the discussion.
7. Each participant must listen to the patient's argument patiently and start himself when the former speaker finishes his argument.
8. Each participant must show a cooperative and collaborative spirit. One should not show the selfish nature at any stage.
9. No one should try to monopolize the debate.
10. Each participant must try to get his role. No one will offer him a chance to speak.
11. If a participant does not reach a certain point, he or she must listen to the other speakers with interest and make a mental note of the points he makes and try to refute them,
. The participant is advised to speak quietly and in a clear and audible voice.
13. No one should lose temper or feel a gentle enthusiasm when trying to refute others' arguments.
14. A polite and parliamentary language should be used. Good behavior and behavior should be shown by each speaker.
15. Usually you can cultivate a habit of talking and discussing things.
Source by Khyati Raja