It is difficult to get the correct wording for a gift certificate (also known as gift voucher). There are some mandatory items and some optional items you want to include in a gift slip. In addition to these standard elements, you may consider some legal references that should be included to impose certain restrictions on the use of a gift slip.
When submitting a gift certificate form, "Do not forget to include the following items:
- Your company name
- Recipient name
- Coupon value (USD or local currency) or service provided. This is the most sensitive element of the certificate. In particular, do not want the customer easily change the amount! So it's better to print them instead of typing them manually.
- Serial certificate number. The serial number is important for multiple reasons, especially for fraud prevention and tracking of gift vouchers issued. By giving each coupon a unique gift number, you can easily verify it is not adjusted when the customer wishes to refund it. For example, you can have a trace log that links the serial number to the value, date of issue, and customer name.
Some optional elements
- Buyer Name: Maybe a mandatory component for most coupons!
- Personal Message: This is a very nice way to customize a certificate, by giving the buyer the possibility to add a customized message to the receiver.
- Restricting to a specific type of service / product: If you wish to provide a certificate for a particular service, mention "Valid only for service X" or "For use in X purchase".
- No cash value. This will protect you from customers who want to get cash certification (people will try to do it!). Recall "no cash value" or "non-refundable cash" on the certificate.
- Inability: If you want to retrieve the certificate only by the person named in the certificate, mention "non-transferable" on the certificate.
- Expiration of Certificate: This may not be legal in your country / state. Check your legal regulations or attorney for this purpose. If they are legal, you may want to include the certificate expiration date, to avoid having certificates in the open for years. One year from now is a good default.
Now you know what important items you should put to get a good gift certificate formulation, so work your way through a gift certificate template and mix different items and match them until you are satisfied with the result !